Do you have a concern that somebody is being abused or neglected?

Report itReport abuse or neglect now

Local facts and figures

Wigan Council collects safeguarding adult's data and supplies it to the government through the Safeguarding Adults Return (SAR) dataset.

Whilst we are still awaiting official release of 2014/15 data from the government, using local data collected in 2014/2015, there were 1245 safeguarding alerts recorded by the council.

  • 85% of alleged victims were already known to the council
  • 58% of alleged victims were female and 42% were male
  • 94% of alleged victims were white with the remaining 6% being Asian/British Asian, Black/African Caribbean/Black British or not known.

 The primary reason for alleged victims needing support:

  •  42% had a physical disability, frailty and/or sensory impairment
  •  35% had a known mental health issue - 12% of whom had diagnosed dementia
  •  17% had a learning disability.

Further details can be found in the WSAB annual report.