Wigan Council collects safeguarding adult's data and supplies it to the government through the Safeguarding Adults Return (SAR) dataset.
Whilst we are still awaiting official release of 2014/15 data from the government, using local data collected in 2014/2015, there were 1245 safeguarding alerts recorded by the council.
- 85% of alleged victims were already known to the council
- 58% of alleged victims were female and 42% were male
- 94% of alleged victims were white with the remaining 6% being Asian/British Asian, Black/African Caribbean/Black British or not known.
The primary reason for alleged victims needing support:
- 42% had a physical disability, frailty and/or sensory impairment
- 35% had a known mental health issue - 12% of whom had diagnosed dementia
- 17% had a learning disability.
Further details can be found in the WSAB annual report.